Sunday, February 15, 2015

Aria by Richard Rodriguez

‘“ Is it possible for you and your husband to encourage your children to practice their English when they are home?’  Of course, my parents complied…In an instant, the agreed to give up the language (the sounds) that had revealed and accentuated our family’s closeness.” (Rodriquez 2)

When I was reading these few lines, I was shocked.  I couldn’t believe that the nuns had the guts to go to Richards family’s house and ask his parents if they can change their lives and start speaking English.  It is Richards family’s decision how they want to live their lives and how they want to speak in their home.  It’s the nuns job while he is in school to help them learn English, not when he is at home.  The nuns should be trying their best to help Richard but should also respect his home life.  Richards home was supposed to be his safe spot, where he isn’t afraid like he is in school and didn’t have to speak the public language (English).  Now he isn’t just uncomfortable in school, he is at home to.     


“I also need my teachers to keep my attention from straying in class by calling out, Rich-heard—their English voices slowly praying loose my ties to my other name, its three notes, Ri-car-do.” (Rodriquez 2)

I think it was wrong what the teachers did by Americanizing Ricardo’s name to Richard.  I think that should have been his decision if he wanted his name changed.  Richards actual name ties in with his culture and I believe the teachers should have respected that.  Working with my placement in Central Falls, I am working in an ELL classroom (English Language Learner), which is the same as an ESL classroom (English As A Second Language).  In this classroom there are students who have namesthat are Spanish and some of those names I cannot pronounce.  But as a teacher you should respect a child’s name and not change it.  As a teacher you should try your best to learn the child’s name.


“Today I hear bilingual educators say that children lose a degree of ‘individuality’ by becoming assimilated into public society.” (Rodriquez 5)

I do not agree with this quote.  I believe that people who speak English as their second language don’t always lose their individuality.  It is there choice if they want to continue speaking their native language in the own space, but I do believe that everyone who lives in our country should be able to speak/learn basic English.  I believe that they don't lose their individuality because my Aunt Anna came to America as a young girl from a spanish speaking country.  When she came here, her family chose to learn to speak our native language.  Even though she did this, she never let go of her true native language which was spanish.  To this day my aunt and her family speak to one another in both spanish and english.  My two little cousin are fluent in both languages because she never lost her individuality while learning the "public language".  





  

2 comments:

  1. great job! I like your choice of quotes, and you had great explanations/thoughts about them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the fact that his teachers should not have Americanized his name, I wrote about that in my blog also.

    ReplyDelete