Sunday, February 8, 2015

White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack By: Peggy McIntosh

In Peggy McIntosh’s writing, she argues that white privilege and male privilege are simaliar.  These privilages are unfair to many.  They are based off of either a person’s race or sex.  A person in our society who has this privilege is thought to have an advantage over others who do not.  McIntosh explains that the word “privilege” is very misleading.  One does not have to earn these privileges, it is given to you at birth.  People who have these “privileges” understand why they have them and try to promote equality.  McIntosh quotes; “I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege, as males are taught not to recognize male privilege.” (McIntosh 1).  This proves that these “privileges” are seen as normal to society.

I have to agree with what McIntosh talked about.  I really liked the way she explained white privilege; “White privilege is like an invisible weightless knapsack of special provisions, maps, passports, code books, visas, clothes, tools and blank checks.” (McIntosh 1).  Reading through the list of advantages that white people get, all I could think of was WOW.  I never realized all that.  Like McIntosh stated that these privileges are seen as normal and I can understand why.  Growing up in a town that wasn’t very diverse and most of the towns population was white, we really weren’t able to see how our privilege was different than other students who weren’t white. 


In class the other day we had a conversation about diversity and how people’s skin colors reflect the way they get looked at.  Thinking back to the conversation and comparing it to this reading, I was able to find a short clip where a young lady interviewed people of different races on the street and asked them what white privilege is.  All the people agreed that white privilege does exists and asked people who weren’t white, how their lives would be different if they were white.  This clip really makes you realize that what McIntosh is saying is true.


3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you and I was thinking a lot of the same things when reading this article especially when reading through the list of advantages I too was thinking that I had never realized half of those things, I even read some of them to my sister because I was so shocked at the simplicity of some of the advantages that white people have that colored people do not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the video that you chose. It really makes me think of all the advantages that I take for granted each day. It helped me to understand that everybody knows that white privilege exists and makes me sad for those who don't have these advantages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up in the same town-I totally get where you are coming from with this. I love your hyperlink and the photos you chose. It really puts things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete